Re:Re:Ranged Combat

From: Jeff <jeff.kyer_at_...>
Date: Tue, 23 Oct 2001 13:31:24 -0000

Hey! I liked Oscar. I'm sure Oscar vs the Troll will be an example of play flexiblity in 2nd ed...

> So allow an Improvisation from Close Combat - a pretty hefty Improv.
> Mod, maybe -10 or even -20. If he wants to improve it, later, it'll
> heve to be as a specific ability though, Resist Poison 12 for 1 HP.

Sure, that'd work for me but the improv would be hefty - we don't want to make close combat into a completely uber-ability.

> > So these are the occasions where I wonder if it wouldn´t be a good
> > idea to have some general characteristics...How about making the
> > rule,that you must have a movement,and a body-kind of-ability and
> > strength related ability,when you generate your character?
>
> I considered this too, but some characters just shouldn't have such
> abilities. Remember, if the character has an ability, it's a notable
> feature, above average. Not every hero should be above average in
> every aspect. And you miss out Intellect/mind related abilities. And
> appearance. And luck. Where do you stop? You are quite right, a set
> of Stats does make a great base for generic abilities, but unless
you

This is very true - I've noticed that, while most players don't give their characters the full gambut of 'stat's I have noticed most players seem to gtive them a couple over the first few games and then stop. Mostly to give their characters a little more 'defintion'

> make them 'free' for the beginner character, they use up a lot of
> words/slots. I actually realised my own character (an Ernaldan) had
> no athletic abilities (erm... well, no outdoor ones...). But if a
> snake bites her, she'll improvise off of her Earth Queen Affinity,
> specifically the Command Earth Animals feat (snakes were always
earth
> aligned).

That's VERY sneaky! I like that logic a lot. I might even let her improvise some sort of magical defence off of it too.

> I do not want her ending up a warrior (it's so undignified, all that
> running around), so if I do give her a physical ability I'll give
her
> a generic 'Running about and things' ability she'll have to
Improvise
> off of.
>
> Wulf

Beats the 'Runaway like an anime girl' ability one of my players has. You know, running and arms waving and stuff like that.

Jeff