Re: Re: Hero Quest Challenge rules variants

From: Graham Robinson <graham_at_...>
Date: Wed, 24 Oct 2001 14:36:17 +0100

>I preferred the +/- a mastery myself, but I would ONLY allow a QC bid
>of an ability which had a mastery at least anyway. Anything less
>wouldn't generate the proper 'mythic resonance' or some such fluff
>text. Maybe if you bid an ability less than a mastery, you only
>gain/lose 10?

Again, I think you have missed the point. In the quest challenge you are offering a part of yourself as the stake. You are saying, if I lose, this part of me is what I forfeit. If you wagered your hand, you would not end up a little less able to use your hand - it would be gone, totally.

The idea of a losing anything other than the whole ability seems wrong to me. It doesn't fit with what we know - Yelmalio, for instance, loses all fire powers on the Hill of Gold, and this effects all his followers to this day.

This is why I think the gain has to seem worth losing everything for. What I don't like is the current idea that you can quickly gain huge power, due to the non-linear scale involved. Nobody to Greater God in three heroquests seems wrong. Wish I had a good answer...

Cheers,
Graham

--
Graham Robinson