Re: What use is a wyter?

From: Jeff <jeff.kyer_at_...>
Date: Wed, 24 Oct 2001 15:25:45 -0000

Wyter don't adapt to new situations all that well without heroquests and the like to bolster them with new blessings.

"...but they aways attack from the North? What happened!?!! Why weren't we warned?"
"Black oaks always come from the East."
"Sigh. Marvos, the Wyter's broke again!"

(good situational modifiers deleted)

These are excellent points! I think they would go under 'modfiers' in the new contest format.

> Also, cattle raiding is an appropriate Orlanthi action --
> maybe some or most wyters don't really notice raiding or figure that
> "it's all in good fun." If the clan's watchers can't spot the
> raiders, they are soft and need some toughening up. On the other
> hand, if the invaders are broos or Imperial Troops, the wyter will
be
> after them.

The wyter may not percieve this sort of intruder too well - especially one that looks for "Dara Happan Foes"

> Assuming it's an augmentation-providing wyter. Without
> consulting the wyter rules, I recall that there are several types,
> some may not offer this option. The wyter also has to offer an
> ability that is useful in a typical pc-involved contest. If the
> ability offered is Find Lost Sheep, that's not such a problem. Most
> clan wyters are more likely to offer Find Blackberries, Domestic
> Harony, and Preserve Grain than Crushing Blow or Bet That Hurts. The
> War Clans are, of course, and exception, which is why people don't
> like attacking War Clans if they can avoid it.

The nice thing about Wyter is that the whole community its tied too counts as a single target for the augmentation... This is a really nice feature.

Also, most wyter can't leave their lands so when you're attacking a clan on its tula, you're doing it without the assistance of your own wyter (though your warband's wyter can probably counteract things somewhat)

> It also seems to me that, if the wyter offers a combat
> ability (which is what I'm guessing this is mostly about), it may be
> necessary for the wyter to be in or near the combat. Which means
> there is a chance that the wyter will get
> killed/captured/neutralized/etc. For hero band wyters, which are
more

Yes, its been stated that the wyter really can't function off its own turf. Military units and warbands carry their 'turf' around with them in battle standards and vexilla. Clan wyter are not quite so flexible (or so vulnerable)

> likely to offer "useful" abilities than Clan wyters, this is doubly
> true -- I don't think hero band wyters have the clan wyters'
> "tula-wide" range on the average; their "constituency" is too small.

I think they just have a range of 'wherever the hero band and regalia are' - which is why they don't leave the regalia in a safe place and _have_ to bring it to battle if they want its beneifits.

No hiding the wyter in a secret place and still getting its beneifits unless it has some sort of 'help people at range' function - which would be good for an assassin-style band.

> Unless the players are encouraged to identify with the wyter
> (which would be good, since their characters certainly do). Let them
> call on the wyter and describe what it does. Encourage them to go on
> quests to strengthen it, spend HP for it, etc. Make them develop
> Relationship to Wyter. Put the darned thing in danger every now and
> again. Make 'em love it.
>
> Peter Larsen

This is pretty much what we do. We try to make the wyter personalized! Let the other player's have a large say in how it works. We treat it as fondly as we treated our battered old starship in Star Wars. "Renvold's Cat" practically one of the family these days.

Jeff