Re: Ken and his sword

From: Kmnellist_at_...
Date: Wed, 24 Oct 2001 15:43:21 EDT

In a message dated 24/10/01 13:42:45, you write: Tim:
<< > OPTION B: Ken cements Magic Sword 1W:
> Now Ken has a combat ability of 1W and a politics ability of 20. In
> effect he has increased his Close combat from 13 to 1W for the
> expenditure of 1 HP. There is no situation in which Bob is better
> than Ken

Wulf:
 BUT...

  1. He has an easily removable (well, removable...) Magic Sword ability
  2. It only works on one weapon/style
  3. he cannot learn new styles at this level (and you MIGHT say he can't improve the new ability either)
  4. He can't easily improvise from it
  5. Being magical, he can't augment magic with it (OK, so it doesn't count as his sole mundane augment either)

 Wulf >>

I like option 3 myself. If you get the magic sword at 1W it should probably stay that way UNLESS you can find a way to increase it. (hmm, how can I make this magic sword better?). I think this applies to most 'cemented' items. In general, in order to realistically improve them you need to have a story that backs up your improvement. I don't buy the 'discover new powers' line, or

wouldn't if it were increasing from 1W to 1W2. If you were 'learning how to
use it's powers', for a magic sword I would say you were improving you 'close
combat' and augmenting you 'magic sword' with it. If you were discovering
that it was also a musical instrument then I would say that was a new ability 'magical musical sword' 12.

Besides, Ken has the sword because he has better connections and his pal, the chief, says he can keep it. The other guy is now regreting his poor diplomacy and plotting kinstrife to kill the evil sword grabbing Ken when he doesn't have his precious sword to save his puny hide.

In general I am in the "this is an issue for all RPG's" camp. If you don't want a feeble hobbit to possess the Ring of Doom 5W4, then don't let him find it.

Keith N

Keith