Re: Gloranthan New Years resolution clarification

From: bethexton <bethexton_at_...>
Date: Tue, 08 Jan 2002 17:02:48 -0000

Agreed. A few might here about it and go check it out, but most will first get introduced by someone else.

Most gamers are introduced to gaming and specific
> systems through veteran gamers. Most newbie gamers are
> happy to try other systems, but not usually from just picking
> something off of the game store shelf and having a go at it.

Really? I was introduced to a few games by existing players (including Runequest), but I'd say most of the games my old group ever tried were precisely picked up off the store shelf because they looked interesting. Of course, this was back in the beginning of the 80's when there were less choices, but still I doubt we would have behaved much differently today.

I'd say the difference was mostly that none of us were into "fan" activities. We weren't part of gaming clubs, didn't go to conventions, didn't hang around the local gaming store. We just bought stuff and did our own thing. I suspect that this sort of gamer is actually in the majority, but you don't "see" them, because they aren't at the conventions, in on-line forums, etc.

To appeal to this population you need "packaging" that makes it clear what is special about this game. I think this was part of the success of the White Wolf's Vampire game; the book cover with the rose on it, instead of the usual battle scene made it clear that this game was different. Aside from cover art the packaging includes game title and any sub-titling, and whatever blurb is on the back cover. Hero Wars has a set title, and much of the upcoming artwork is set. I do hope that the back-cover blurb of HW2 will emphasize both the incredibly flexible game system and the unique mythic background of glorantha. And this may sound simplistic, but the one thing that most excited me about Glorantha was that *everybody* has magic, that basically everybody had access to the super-cool stuff.

Aside from that, once you start thumbing through the book, the first few pages need to suck you right into character and scenario ideas. We struggled through learning Space Opera and Champions, becuase the characters and stories excited us, even if the game systems were daunting.

In short, while clear rules are probably very important for the word of mouth crowd, for that other less visible segment of gamers who aren't heavily in touch with the broader gaming world, it is probably the ability to evoke a sense of excitement in the first minute of looking at the game that will make the sale. A good, easy to use rule system may keep the group playing the game longer, and drive more sales of supplements, but I think the characters and the stories are the most critical factors.

Sorry for drifting way off topic here.

--Bryan