Re: Initiates & Devotees

From: ian_hammond_cooper <ian_hammond_cooper_at_...>
Date: Mon, 21 Jan 2002 11:00:30 -0000

David Dunham
> running up a cliff would depend on the height of the cliff or the
distance of the leap, not the name of the feat.

They do. The point is that initiates are aided by their god to achieve everyday activities. Devotees are capable of manifesting the god's power in more direct ways. An Orlanthi initiate has an affinity for certain tasks from his gods control of those runes. A devotee has this affinity too, but is also capable of incarnating his gods activities in this world. He can run up the cliff. I like this distinction. As I said, I don't think that initiates ever do feats. Part of the problem lies in the use of the word improvisation for what initates do and what devotees do to use a new feat. IMO improvisation, for initiates, is asking for a specific magical effect instead of relying on their affinity for certain actions. Devotees don't create something new but use a previously unpracticed feat drawn from their god's actions in the myth. They do not really *improvise*, they use something that their god did in myth (and I quite like Wulf's mythology role to remember it).

IMO if we make feats too ubiquitous, we cheapen them.

A lot of game use of affinites is to augment, so provided devotees pay for having extra abilites/feats, game balance will be fine.

Ian Cooper