Re: Follower abilities

From: ian_hammond_cooper <ian_hammond_cooper_at_...>
Date: Mon, 18 Feb 2002 13:16:13 -0000

> Remember those improv. modifiers. A character with 'Warrior 17W'
has to improvise to use it - that's -3 for fights, -more for boasting contests.<

Agreed, but he is still getting a lot for 1HP spent to increase the primary skill.

> Followers will not normally go on heroquests.<
Agreed, but is the impact on day to day actions that bother me.

> Followers die easily. If all the APs provided by a follower for a
contest are lost (even if the contest is not!) the follower is GONE.<

Presumably you are suggesting this as a rules change (AFAIK followers suffer one level worse on a defeat in an extended contest)? I'm not sure this helps - after all followers are replaceable by their nature.

I remain happy with treating followers, whose abilites vary over time, as AP batteries and off-stage helpers. Allies can act on-stage. Otherwise the optimal Hero Wars character has but one ability of his own, and a host of followers. That is just not the style of game we are happy with. YMMV.

Ian Cooper