Re: Mastery Jumps

From: simon_hibbs2 <simon.hibbs_at_...>
Date: Tue, 19 Feb 2002 16:58:20 -0000

> IMHO, the main problem is that more "advanced" and important quests
> should be written as tricky, demanding and mysterious as their
narrative
> counterparts, for it would be pretty dull to take the myth and
insert
> some resistances here and there.

I agree, I think there's little point tryign to make known, well-practiced quests too exciting. I'm sure they are to the character, but not at the game meta-level.

> I guess this could only be done properly, if more gets known about
the [world-]
> mechanics of the [hero-] planes [wasn't there a WIP announced for
last
> fall some time ago?].
> but I'm pretty sure that the more "mundane" basic quests should be
no
> serious problem to write, although time-consuming...

I'm in favour of reducing them down to a simple a form as possible.

The caveat, of course, is that in practivce it should always be possible to spice up well-trodden quests with unexpected surprises. The basic quest may well be a well-worn path with tough but expected obstacles. The trouble is, this is The Hero Wars and nasty unexpected surprises keep popping up at the most inopportune moments.

Your father, and your grandfather, and his father before him may have mastered the Bear's Cave Quest to gain the Grizzly Heart Feat, but suppose you go on the quest and instead of being attacked by the Grizzly God in his cave, you find the god already dead and a strange demon standing over it with the Grizzly Heart in it's hand. What the F*!# do you do now?

  1. Defeat the demon and take the Heart.
  2. Defeat the demon and give the Heart back to the Grizzly God, thus befriending it and gaining it as an otherworld ally, something your ancestors never did.
  3. Kill the demon and take _it's_ heart.... whatever _that's_ supposed to do!

So what we also need is not just descriptions of the traditional heroquests, but also a toolkit of ways Hero Wars events can spice things up a bit.

Simon Hibbs