Re: Magical Augments - A little extreme?

From: Roderick and Ellen Robertson <rjremr_at_...>
Date: Tue, 9 Apr 2002 17:45:04 -0700

> > I don't think one can combine Decapitating Blow and Cut Deep
> > nor Great Blow and Cut Deep at the same time since these feats
> > duplicate each other in most circumstances.
>
> That's not my preferred solution. My own house rule would be to allow only
> one augmentation per affinity. After all, there's no theoretical limit to
> the number of *compatible* feats a Devotee can improvise from any one of
his
> affinities.

I used 1-augment-per-affinity as my Rule of thumb for NPC Initiates in BA. I allowed any number of augments from the same affinity for Initiates. For this kind of thing, I'd penalize *improvised* feats heavily - sort of a magical burden that makes learned feats the only "safe" kind. I wouldn't want to make a permanent rule about it, unless it came up a lot in games that I was running...

(Just to keep from putting words in Greg's mouth in my previous message, Three augments was what he suggested as his norm when I was working on the NPCs in BA. Greg may have changed his mind since then.)

While it is nasty and obnoxious, I do believe that *if you have time* a 8-augment powerup (when the augmenting abilities are already in the multiple masteries) will result in a nasty total augment. If the group wants to take the time to guard a single individual while he powers up, fine. I wouldn't allow an 8-augment to be done casually nor, probably, be done without a ritual outside of combat.

And remember, if the player heroes can think of it, so can the narrator characters. Sure, your Death-Dealing W3 Humakti powers up with 8 augments, but a similar character on the other side is doing so too. Or maybe they *All* are and they're letting their Followers absorb all the AP losses...

It depends on how high-powered you want the game to be.

> The kind of massive investment in what I see as rules abuse that Wesley
> describes runs counter to the logarithmic nature of the game engine and
the
> rules-lite, dice-lite, narrative-friendly game design.
>
> Just my $0.02, naturally.

Surely that would be 2p?

RR