Re: David & Rodrick's Augment battle (Was: Re: Magical Augments - A little extreme?)

From: Roderick and Ellen Robertson <rjremr_at_...>
Date: Fri, 12 Apr 2002 10:26:24 -0700

> While the current rule is very clear (and therefore not "badly written")
> that does not (necessarily) stop it being a "bad rule". If anyone is
> genuinely experiencing people augmenting eight (or more??) times before a
> contest, they might be well advised to add a house rule to prevent boredom
> setting in. What that might be I'd hesitate to suggest.

Well, I unhestitatingly suggested "call it a ritual". It doesn't have to be a yet another "Arming of [Diety]", though for a serious duel power-up like Wesley was talking about that is probably the basic model. Let the Players invent the ritual, including all paraphenalia and what it means (heck, they're probably itching to do that anyway), meaning less wortk for the Narrator.

Let the some or all of the various ritual regalia pieces allow an augment (rolled or Auto), rather than provide a standard bonus (yes, this is *not* what the ritual rules say. This is *probably* how I should have written those rules).

And the joy of rituals is that after the first time or two, you can just say "We perform the Ass-kicking of Wesley Ritual" and calculate your bonus (probably with a "Ritual" roll of some kind to ensure you had all the props and performed the correct moves). This also restricts what kind of abilities can be used in the AKoW, and if Charlie doesn't have the right augmenting abilities it won't work as well (or perhaps even at all) for him.

RR