Sense Gods Nearby

From: giangero <giangero_at_...>
Date: Tue, 11 Jun 2002 15:20:19 -0000

Greg wrote:

> Finally, I am not convinced that "detect rune powers" is a common
feat or
> power. It smacks of sorcery to me. It is not a common power, even
in cults
> that may have the feat, for the reasons listed above. Who would be
able to
> trust (say) a Lhankor Mhy who regularly studies illusion, death,
fire and
> so on.
>
> Finally, the Rune Power thing is complicated because Glorantha DOES
have
> hundreds of runes beyond the Core Runes. I suppose that a simple
Detect
> Rune Power feat would probably result in saying, "Oh, that is
Hedkoranth
> power."
> This would make all the above Q&A to be "Sense Core Runic Power."

That's why (I think) LM guys have the "Sense gods nearby" feat and not SRP. The personal to-god rather than to-rune approach is much less dangerous and less liable to be interpreted as Godlearnerish. Parenthetically, it is also much less objective in game terms and so can give frustrating reponses: you sense a god nearby, but your limited knowledge doesn't allow you to detect who he/she his, if it is a daimon or a great god, an initiate or a disciple, a shrine or a Temple.

Gian