Re: Sense Gods Nearby

From: Greg Stafford <Greg_at_...>
Date: Tue, 11 Jun 2002 08:50:03 -0700

Good insight Gian,

At 03:20 PM 6/11/2002 -0000, you wrote:
>> Finally, the Rune Power thing is complicated because Glorantha DOES have
>> hundreds of runes beyond the Core Runes. I suppose that a simple Detect
>> Rune Power feat would probably result in saying, "Oh, that is Hedkoranth
>> power."
>> This would make all the above Q&A to be "Sense Core Runic Power."

>That's why (I think) LM guys have the "Sense gods nearby" feat and
>not SRP. The personal to-god rather than to-rune approach is much
>less dangerous and less liable to be interpreted as Godlearnerish.
To be precise, it is much more "divine" in nature than sensing the impersonal runes.

>Parenthetically, it is also much less objective in game terms and so
>can give frustrating reponses: you sense a god nearby, but your
>limited knowledge doesn't allow you to detect who he/she his, if it
>is a daimon or a great god, an initiate or a disciple, a shrine or a
>Temple.

Once again, if you don't know the deity you can only sense what you do know. "This is an earth deity."
This reminded me that I attempted to create the entire theistic system without ever using the words god or goddess. These two words are modern applications of ideas that were not current in the pagan, pantheistic times. For instance, throughout the entire Iliad Zeus is NEVER called the Thunder God. He is called Thunder. Poseidon is not the God of the Sea. He IS the Sea.
That was too far out for most readers, though. Nonetheless, the idea is still prevalent. The wind blows, we know it is the wind but WHICH wind is it? We use our powers and discern that it is a Kolat wind, or even a Essence Wind.

Greg Stafford, greg_at_...
Issaries, Inc. 900 Murmansk St., Suite 5; Oakland, CA 94607 Phone: (510) 452 1648 Fax: (510) 302 0385 Publisher of Hero Wars, Roleplaying in Glorantha See our site at: <www.glorantha.com>