Re: Sense Gods Nearby

From: Julian Lord <julian.lord_at_...>
Date: Wed, 12 Jun 2002 09:39:27 +0200

Greg :

> This reminded me that I attempted to create the entire theistic system
> without ever using the words god or goddess. These two words are modern
> applications of ideas that were not current in the pagan, pantheistic
> times. For instance, throughout the entire Iliad Zeus is NEVER called the
> Thunder God. He is called Thunder. Poseidon is not the God of the Sea. He
> IS the Sea.

Hmm : to be fair, Homeric Greek is hardly normal usage.

Zeus was often referred to as "O Theos" (God, or the God), and the word Zeus, the di- root "ma Dia!" (by Zeus), and the word dios/theos (god) are VERY closely related.

I'm not even that good at Greek, but I must say the close relationship of all these words only reinforces your basic idea of identity between natural forces and divine entities.

Julian Lord