Re: Sense Gods Nearby

From: moonbroth <Nick_at_...>
Date: Wed, 12 Jun 2002 08:41:25 -0000

Julian wrote:

> Greg :

>> I attempted to create the entire theistic system without ever
>> using the words god or goddess. These two words are modern
>> applications of ideas that were not current in the pagan,
>> pantheistic times. For instance, throughout the entire Iliad
>> Zeus is NEVER called the Thunder God.

> Zeus was often referred to as "O Theos" (God, or the God), and the
> word Zeus, the di- root "ma Dia!" (by Zeus), and the word dios/
> theos (god) are VERY closely related.

Yes, but Greg's point is that he is *never* called "the Thunder God" / "the God of Thunder", in the way us RuneQuesters commonly refer to Gloranthan deities as "Death God", "God of Cattle", etc.

Parallel would be calling Orlanth "the Storm", not "the Storm God" (or indeed "a Storm God"). "Humakt is Death", that kinda thing.

Homeric divine epithets are fun. This is an interesting semantic nuance. Thanks to Greg for bringing it to our attention, even if it was too tricky to implement wholesale in the HW/HQ rules.

Cheers, Nick