Re: Improv penalties

From: Roderick and Ellen Robertson <rjremr_at_...>
Date: Mon, 5 Aug 2002 14:17:09 -0700

> Roderick points to the FAQ which addresses almost exactly my previous
> question, but creates another. I could be remembering this
> incorrectly as I do not have any of my books with me.
> The FAQ mentions a minimal improv penalty of -5 and that -10 is
> ordinary as a penalty in its answer to combat abilities. Now I seem
> to remember the HW rules saying a -3 penalty was the norm. And, not
> to furhter muddy the water but I had heard the Hero's Book rough
> draft listed the usual improv penalty as -5.
> So which is it? I know what my personal prefferance is but a
> more "rules" based oppinion would be appreaciated.

The errata of the Rules Synopsis
(http://www.glorantha.com/hw/hw_errata.html) state that -3 is the standard, not -5.

Really, use whatever best suits your feel for the game at the moment - If someone complains that *this* session you gave them a -6 Improv modifier, but *last* Session it was only -2, smile enigmatically and say "yes, that's right".

Expect to see -5 as the standard in HQ (caveat: it might or might not be -5, or -3, or something else entirely, but at this point *I* would bet on -5).

RR