Re: ViewScale

From: simon_hibbs2 <simon.hibbs_at_...>
Date: Thu, 22 Aug 2002 10:12:13 -0000

> What maybe distinguishes me from you is, that i tried to make up
tables and
> failed and that i now understand why.
> You demand ratings that work "universal", this is understandable
(and was also
> my previous point of view) but not really necessary, as i see it.

Not all of us in favour of consistent example ability ratings want a universal 'simulationist' set of tables. The reason I want them is because I think they're vital for building an understanding of the game world in newcomers to Glorantha and Hero Wars. We all have a basic understanding of how fast a horse is compared to a human, but how fast is a Dragonsnail, or a Scorpion Man, or a Rubble Runner?

The only rational approach I can think of is to provide ability ratings for these creatures that are on the same scale as starting character abilities. This at least means newcomers to Glorantha have a basic idea of what the world is like.

> I think this is another overseen beauty of HW.You donīt need really
any
> bestiaries for ratings,at all- you need bestiaries for fleshing out
the
> world, only!

Exactly! How is that to be done if none of the descriptions are comparable to familiar standards?

> If you once understand the HW mechanics you can make up ANY
storyrelevant
> monster WITHOUT a bestiary.And thatīs because the mechanics are so
universal!

How are newcomers to understand the HW mechanics if they don't have easy to understand examples they can use to work from?

Simon Hibbs