Re: Re: Last actions as played

From: Roderick and Ellen Robertson <rjremr_at_...>
Date: Wed, 4 Sep 2002 05:49:49 -0700

> I find it disappointing, after all the other tedious detail on
> creating a 'realistic' culture, that people should balk at what was a
> normal, accepted, practice in most ancient cultures - the killing of
> defeated enemies. Alexander the Great was considered a very lenient,
> even lax, commander for NOT doing so, and even he had every man,
> woman and child (and probably chicken) in Tyre put to the sword or
> enslaved to make an example of them when they caused too much
> trouble*.

Well, I did mention it in one of my posts, and mentioned that most modern people (okay, "western civ"-type people. I won't discuss the Hutus or terror squads in Nicaragua or Tamil Tigers...) don't seem to like to think that way. Also, there are differences between enslaving/killing a captured populace days or weeks after the battle (all that paperwork figuring out who gets Crucifixtion, who is sent to the salt mines, and who is sent to the Emperor's harem, don'cha know); and dealing with prisoners while fighting/immediately at the end of combat. If the group is a raiding party (as most PC groups seem to operate), then there might not be resources to keep captives. Do you tie them up and hope they don't get loose, detail someone to watch them, or kill them out of hand? Are they "honorable enemies" or detested Lunar Scum? Are they hardened warriors or civilians? Do they plead for their lives or stoicly accept whatever you do to them? Will their brothers come after you in a blood feud? How does your culture look on the matter? Do you really care?

Ultimately, each person has to decide how he treat captives, and *the group* must also make this decision. Are they all going to kill prisoners, or is Killer Joe the lone psychotic in the band? How will they act when he offs the old crone who just happened to be in the wrong place at the wrong time? ("She might have talked..." "She was a blind, bedridden deaf mute, ya moron!")

CdG is only one of many options.

RR