RE: Re: Ransoms

From: MCGINNESS, Stephen <mcginnesss_at_...>
Date: Fri, 27 Sep 2002 15:44:09 +0100

> I'm not claiming its perfect but it seems workable and to me at least
> makes more sense than a final action.

It is a strength of the system, as I see it, that you can use a variety of skills and properties at any time that seems appropriate. Personally I would say that offering large sums of money may be more appropriate at some points (when bandits are about to CdG) than at others (when an Uroxi berserker is about to CdG). Essentially it is simply a matter of modifiers and, if your close combat has so far proved inadequate, perhaps a shift of emphasis may be worthwhile.

As far as the effect on your wealth, as you pointed out, the wealth can reflect how well you use your assets as much as how many assets you possess. It was previously pointed out that there were already rules to indicate the effect of contests on your wealth score.

So in the event that someone is going to CdG your character and the narrator indicates that he will allow you to use your wealth any failure by the aggressor means that you have convinced him and your wealth has not suffered as a result. Marginal or minor successes could mean that you convince him not to kill you but your wealth suffers while major and complete success means he ignores your ransom offers and offs you anyway??? :-)