Re: More HW basics

From: Roderick and Ellen Robertson <rjremr_at_...>
Date: Mon, 15 May 2000 12:47:57 -0700

> >In a combat run as a series of Simple Contests (as suggested in the
> >demo pack), am I right in thinking Rank and Edges have no effect, but
> >Bonuses and Handicaps do? Seems very unfair, really, especially to
> >the Hero with the Iron Plate armour and shield, and the Aura Of
> >Invulnerability 5W2...

Correct. Remember that Simple contests are supposed to be less-important (usually) events. The Aura can always be used to augment the character's close combat with a bonus rather than an edge. Or it can be used as the primary ablity (scare the suckers to death!). I seem to remember someone posting a conversion of Edges to Bonus in a simple contest.

> To add to my confusion, take these lines straight from the demo...
>
> 'The Sedrali will use their Run Fast to augment their Spear Fighting.
> They may also use their Combat Fetish, possibly gaining an additional
> 12 APs...' ...suggests allowing automatic success... '...Thus the
> beastmen start with 21 AP + any APs receive from the fetish...'

Fortunately, it was caught before the book went to press - the adventure in the Narrator's book (p 124) has them start with 17 (ability) + 12 (fetish) =29 AP + whatever they get from their augmentation. This is the correct calculation.

RR