Re: Re: Heroic Actions [Rant, OT]

From: Roderick and Ellen Robertson <rjremr_at_...>
Date: Wed, 12 Feb 2003 20:10:23 -0800

> Maybe its a right brain/left brain thing... if a feat does one thing
> one time, it should do it every time. If it doesnt then you are
> making things up (LOL!), which means all the rules are suspect. I
> find that disconcerting.

This is actually something that is going on *in Glorantha* at the time of the Hero Wars - stuff isn't working right any more. People that shouldn't die do (The Pharaoh, frex), things that you take for granted disappear (Orlanth is Dead), Armies that shouldn't win do (err - I'm sure there is some example out there... "I plead that I'm in the middle of moving, all my books are packed away, M'Lud" ). People are experimenting with magic and ritual to an extent not seen since the fall of the Empires at the end of the Second Age.

I find "making it up" to be part of the fun - but I know that not all people feel that way.

One thing that has been suggested on the list is to let the player decide how to use the feat (spell, whatever) the first time, and that use "cements" how that feat can be used in the future. So if the first time Sunset Leap is used the player says "I use it to Leap westwards as far as we can go", then all subsequent uses of Sunset leap have to follow that pattern in your game. You can't use it to leap north, south, east , up, down, or in time, just westwards.

RR