Re: GURPS Glorantha

From: simon_hibbs2 <simon.hibbs_at_...> <simon.hibbs_at_...>
Date: Mon, 17 Feb 2003 15:09:36 -0000

> I would find it interesting to see what emerged.
>
> Strangely, I can envisage GURPS Glorantha far more readily than
GURPS
> Hero Wars/HeroQuest.

GURPS Glorantha has always been a great idea in theory, but asside from a few half hearted sets of rules hacks has never worked out in practice. I think the main reason for this is that most GURPS setting books tend to be heavy on setting and relatively light on rules. This despite the fact that GURPS is quite a complex game system.

As a result of this GURPS setting books are a great buy even if you have no interest in GURPS. I own many GURPS supplements but have never run GURPS and only have a rudimentary understanding of the mechanics, even though I'bve played it quite a few times (here my experiences mirror those of John Hughes).

As a result, a GURPS setting book for Glorantha that was anything like the official GURPS supplements would have to contain enough setting material to risk infringing copyright. On the other hand if it was purely a mechanical translation from RQ to GURPS it would still probably have limited appeal. BRP is a well enough known and mechanicaly sophisticated enough system that there's little reason to want to use GURPS.

It would be lovely to see a good treatment of Glorantha in GURPS terms, but I fear that any such effort would have to tread a fairly narrow path between these concerns in order to be a success.

Simon Hibbs