Re: Re: Playing Hero Wars [was an entirely inappropriate subject line]

From: Jane Williams <janewilliams20_at_...>
Date: Mon, 17 Feb 2003 19:27:16 +0000 (GMT)

> > (1) Decide what I want to do
> > (2) Desperatly search character sheet for skill
> name I might be able to use to do that
> > (3) Tell GM.
> >
> > Which in the end is pretty much how I approach all
> games.
>
> No agreed, this is how it occurs for us too. I do
> not want to give
> the impression that we create whole mythic cycles on
> the spur of the
> moment to describe feats, or need to for anything
> like augments,

Phew! It's hard enough doing that sort of thing on-line, and quite often I do wimp out for the standard stuff. (Guy's writing, however, is always, but always, dramatic and superb).

> We only need to get creative for the more
> esoteric ones.

Although you *can* get better results from being creative with apparently mundane stuff, too. Ask Guy about our innocent little Wyter gift of "Unbreakable weapon" sometime (but make sure he's sitting down first). It stops your sword breaking, right? Until you think "I am a weapon in Humakt's hand", and then realise that the rest of the warband is a weapon in *your* hand, and.... But there's no way I'd have come up with that one without the equivalent of a day and a night meditating under an ox-hide before posting.

And the uses of "truth on the wind" are still being stretched :)

Still, to meander back to something vaguely resembling the point: so you're in a table-top game, looking down your character sheet for improvements on "I hit him". Yes, you pick out the obvious ones, you discard the obviously wrong ones, and there's "Moonlit Bounce" or whatever. So you ask the GM what that does, and he says "I dunno, make it up". OK, you say, so are there any myths about Orlanth bouncing in moonlight? Errm.. dunno. There's these books you can read... oh, forget it, I won't try to use that one. Which is possibly a waste of a good Feat.

Do You Yahoo!?
Everything you'll ever need on one web page from News and Sport to Email and Music Charts http://uk.my.yahoo.com