Re: HW Ancient Greece?

From: Guy Hoyle <ghoyle1_at_...>
Date: Sat, 15 Mar 2003 11:03:48 -0600

Many thanks for the suggestions, Victor and John. Not familiar with "Kadmus and Harmony" or "Ka", but I have read both the Wolfe books. I've also read "The King Must Die" and "The Bull From The Sea" by Mary Renault, Poul Anderson's "The Dancer from Atlantis", and Marion Zimmer Bradley's "The Firebrand"; I've also read a number of Thomas Burnett Swann's books ("Cry Silver Bells", "The Gods Abide", etc.). I'm probably leaving out some other ones, as well.

I have some good non-fiction sources, too. Robert Graves may be out of vogue in scholarly circles now, but "The Greek Myths" provides some good story ideas. Walter Burkett's "Greek Religion" is an in-depth look at what we know of that subject; Graf's "Magic in the Ancient World" is rather handy, as well.

I have two possible settings in mind for this campaign. One is "Age of Heroes", pretty much just adventuring in the days of Jason, Heracles, the Argonauts, Castor and Pollux, etc. The other is an Atlantis campaign, where the cruel yoke of Atlantean sovreignty lies heavy upon the lands that would one day become Greece, Egypt, etc. Not sure which would be more fun; it would be cool running into Heracles and the others, but I would have freer reign with an Atlantean campaign.

Guy

Always choose the option that'll most likely blow up in your own face. You never know when a tribe of werebears is going to want to skin you alive, for instance. Those are the Munchausenesque moments you can brag about over beer for years.

Of course, sometimes you get bitten by vampires infected with bubonic plague, but on the whole, you have a great time.