Re: Walking 0w2

From: Ian Leake <mail_at_...>
Date: Mon, 24 Mar 2003 08:59:17 -0000

(I thought I had posted this a few days ago but I must have had problems
with my email - sorry if this takes the discussion back a step)

What interests me about the walking problem is not 'normal use' walking
(which would always be an automatic success), but those occassions when a
hero is under pressure (or encumbered in some way) and the dramatic logic
(or narrator's twisted sense of humour) call for it. Take these two
examples:

  1. Helgan One Eye, a renowned hero, has spent the night drinking with his friends Garrath and Erin. As dawn arrives he makes for home. Normally he would have no problems, even after a few drinks, but today he only gets as far as the Inn door before he trips on a step and tumbles over. Unfortunately for Helgan he has also sprained his ankle and so must put off the raid he has planned on the neighbouring clan.
  2. Our hero Garrath Sharpsword has walked many miles and fought many enemies to bring urgent news to his chief. He is tired and hurt. With the last of his strength he throws open the door and walks into the great hall. Everyone goes quiet and watches him as he walks up the hall. But then disaster: he trips on an uneven floor slab and falls flat on his face. Nasty Nick, the clan Trickster, starts to laugh and jeer at him. In an instant everyone else has joined in. Will anyone believe his news now?

To me these are classic examples of people fumbling an ability which no-one is supposed to even fail at. There is no hostile force (no-one is trying to trip them up), they are their own enemy.

IMO these should be modelled as a straightforward ability test in walking with a big penalty. A special case rule like 0w2 doesn't seem necessary to me. If people have an inate walking ability of, 10w1 or 15w1 for example, then everything fits into place. Under normal circumstances they automatically succeed (i.e. no roll is necessary); when under pressure but without big penalties they may stumble occasionally (fumble bumped to fail) - to me a failed walk is a stumble not a fall; but when under considerable pressure and with big penalties they may well fall over.

Criticals are much less important, although perhaps a critical walk would have given Garrath extra credibility when he gave the chief his news...

Any thoughts anyone?

--
Ian Leake, www.ianleake.net