Re: Re: Bumps and shoves

From: Roderick and Ellen Robertson <rjremr_at_...>
Date: Fri, 25 Apr 2003 22:18:05 -0700

Jane said:

> I can think of situations where I'd like to be able to
> use a HP or two to say "OK, I defeat my opponent. And
> I die doing it." Despite not actually having enough AP
> to do this. Whether or not the PC's funeral is
> miserable isn't the point, it's the heroic ending that
> would be good to have as an option.

I'd probably allow it - not so much "I defeat my opponent, then die", but "I'm dying, but rather than try to get back in the game I'll sacrifice myself grab the bad guy and fall into the vat of molten steel/pilot the fireship away from the rest of the fleet/repair the Warp Drive with my bare hands".

The pre-requisite being that you are willing to sacrifice yourself for the good of the group/tribe/world, I'd most likely allow a final action to succeed automatically - no roll, no AP needed. heck, If the actions of the hero fit the story, I'd probably even allow a hero with HP left to spend his life in this way.

But this is more a Narrator Decision than a Rule - I don't see making a *Rule* about Sacrificial Final Action - after all, it might *not* fit the story for the world to be saved just because someone was willing to sacrifice himself - falling on the nuclear bomb doesn't have the same effect as falling on a hand grenade.

Like all narrator decisions, it has to be done on the spot, on the spur of the moment. The decision has to made in the light of how the story has been told so far and how well the players enjoy it. Is it a climax, or an anti-climax? Do you think it will ruin the story, or make it better?

As far as rolling the final action, will it spoil the climax to blow the roll? How will your sacrificing player feel when you say "Oh, you didn't make your grab roll? And you are out of AP? So sorry, you fall into the vat of molten steel and die instantly. The rest of you still face the T2000. He turns and smiles at you ..."

RR
- Richelieu