Re: Re: Gods in the mortal world

From: Roderick and Ellen Robertson <rjremr_at_...>
Date: Thu, 25 Sep 2003 09:29:39 -0700

Direct from Greg:

"Also, concerning the idea of weakening Kero Fin with worship, funny idea! Very GL. Nonetheless, I�d point out that you first have to know the method to make the right sacrifice to get the FEat, then she has to be convinced of your sincerity in intent, and finally, has to accept it. Sure, there may be a rule for it, but if the intent was insincere, then massive penalties would be imposed."

and:

"Guardians are specifically entities hat DO NOT have a permanent presence in the Otherworld. This applies to Hero Band Guardians, and some Landscape Entities.

Other LandscapeEntities like KF or the River actually live on the God Plane and come ot the middle world when called. My intent was to differentiate them and state that worship of the Landscape Entities works LIKE a Guardian, but that they are actually different entities."

When I pointed out that the penalty paragraph was directly under the reference to Kero Fin:

">I'll pass that on. Unfortunately, it looks like
>another Errata note, as the
>text on 128 "Sacrificing to Landscape Deities"
>doesn't seem to bear this
>out. The "Worship weakens them" paragraph is
>immediately after the one
>mentioning Kero Fin. Take a look and see if you can
>re-word?

Yes, so noted.
put it in the errata."

So, to sum up:

Minor landscape dieties (spirits, essences) exist only in the mundane world, and are weakened by worship as per page 128 (148, 173).

Some entities live in the Otherworld but have a Middle-world presence, and are not so weakened. KF & Engizzi are two such, I'd add Chalk Man and The Creek as Majestic Spirits that exist in the Otherworlds. (The Stream is a giant undine that doesn't provide functions, so can't be so reduced...).

How to tell them apart? Narrator choice, but the bigger/more impressive/more powerful the feature, the more likely that it's Otherworld.

RR
- Richelieu