Re: Re: HELP! Can anyone explain the mechanics of Sorcery and Tapping?

From: Peter Metcalfe <metcalph_at_...>
Date: Thu, 02 Oct 2003 11:36:29 +1200

At 03:28 PM 10/1/03 +0000, you wrote:

>Are their any Gloranthan sorcerors who are binders of demons in the
>mode of some standard fictional/legendary demons?

Yes. There's a group of Loskalmi sorcerers that deal with the Krjalk that infested the borders of Losklam under the Ban. There's probably other orders of sorcerers elsewhere.

>If a Western sorceror were trying to summon demons from the
>underwold, should he or she be treated as someone doing misapplied
>worship to emulate the spirit-capturing abilities of a shaman, or
>just be given special "Demon summoning" and "Demon Binding Spells"
>that function after a portal of power has been opened?

Firstly Demonlogy only works on sorcery-plane entities or underworld sorcerous entities. However the sorcerers do have access to an art known as Demonization which turns any godling or spirit into a demon (i.e. a sorcerous entity from the underworld). I think this process is long and complex and not something that can be done on the fly. Demonlogical grimoires contain not only spells but also the names of known demons that can be summoned and commanded.

As well as the obvious uses for demons, one can also learn magic from them (as per HQ p173 - Using Essences) and question them about what they know.

--Peter Metcalfe