guardians,summoning and befriending spirits

From: Toksickburn_at_...
Date: Wed, 15 Oct 2003 23:10:48 EDT

Hey!

Monday i got my copy of HeroQuest. An american friend of a friend came to germany and was so kind to take a copy with him for me.

I have some general questions about magic, spirits and summoning.

  1. What is a (heroband)guardian?
    >From what i read i would guess a guardian (of a heroband) is the "spirit" of
    this band brought to existence, but this doesnt seem to be always the case...in one example the band forms its guardian in another it seeks for it, what would mean its already in existence waiting for a band to do the job of being a guardian for them.... What i also really wonder is, why does an entitiy want to be a guardian...whats its benefit???

2.Practices
I wonder what befriending a spirit means. What does the spirit gain? Why does a spirit want to be bound/trapped in a fetish/charm?

3.Summoning
When you summon a creature from the otherworld, this actually opens a "gateway" to the otherworld and "drags" somehow the specific entity into the mundane world. What i dont understand is: how does the entity return into its homeworld ?
For example:
If a spirit summoned a human into the spiritplane, how could he return without the right magic (think of "shamanic escape" or "open barrier into the mundane world")?
Or is it that any being which is in its wrong plane of existence naturally "fades" back into its realm of origin ?

all the best

Christian