Re: Implicit and explicit factors in Extended Contests

From: Paul Andrew King <paul_at_...>
Date: Fri, 31 Oct 2003 08:37:29 +0000

>> >Every action should have the possibility of winning the contest (within
>AP
>> >limits). That is my "implicit expectation". Every action I take has the
>> >possibility (however unlikely) of becoming a Crit-Fumble 3x Transfer in
>my
>> >favor. The AP bidding limits are based on how reckless or cautious I act
>in
>> >my description. The narrator and I then agree on the bid number based on
>my
>> >*description*, not on whether the action should win the contest or not,
>> >which is why I am opposed to "Fix it, then you can advance" type
>solutions.
>> >"You can't win the contest that way, I won't let you bid enough to do so"
>is
>> >bad GMing. "Explain to me how this advances your cause/justifies your AP
>> >bid" is better.
>>
>> The problem I have is that this doesn't seem to leave room for
>> cautious bids based on improving the chance to win, without directly
>> contributing to winning. Fixing a problem improves the character's
>> position by depriving the opponent of an advantage.
>
>Sure it does - as I noted below I have no problem with the player deciding
>to bid low or do an unrelated action; my problem is the narrator forcing him
>to do so. "You can't both jump and attack, and you can't win by jumping, so
>I won't allow you to bid big" is much different than "I'll just jump this
>turn, and attack next turn when I don't have the -10 penalty for the hedge".
>If the player wants to do an action to remove a potential penalty or augment
>himself, that's fine. But don't force him to do it. Let him do the risky
>stuff - he's a hero and gets paid the big bucks to take chances.

As I stated in another post I believe that there can be good reasons to insist that "compound actions" are split.

>> >I'm not forbidding anything.
>>
>> Well you were objecting to actions on the grounds that they helped
>> the character's position in the contest without directly contributing
>> to winning. If you'll permit such actions then I'm not sure what the
>> problem is.
>
>I'm objecting to the narrator forcing the player to bid small (or do an
>unrelated action) this turn to "set up" or "position" for later turns. If he
>decides to do it all by himself, that's fine.

Well then if you are arguing that such actions should never be split it would have been better to take on the reasons for doing so rather than objecting to the actions in themselves.

>> > If the *player* decides to "Circle around to
>> >get the sun at my back - 3AP" that's *his* decision, not mine. If the
>player
>> >wants to spend a round just getting up, that's his decision. If he wants
>> >augment himself instead of attack, that's his decision. It's not the
>> >narrator's job to *force* him to improve his position.
>>
>> Then I think you are misunderstanding the point at issue.
>
>Not at all - I understand it perfectly. As a matter of fact, in my view
>*you* are misunderstanding the point of the entire extended contest
>mechanism.

I don't believe so. As I stated above you were objecting to particular actions - not addressing the reasons why "compound actions" should sometimes be split

> Players should be allowed and encouraged to act in "heroic" ways.
>If this means doing crazy multiple-action stunts then they should be allowed
>to try to do them. By saying "no, you can't do that, you have to do this
>first", by not allowing them to combine actions, by *forcing* them to
>perform set-up actions, you are removing the heroism.

And did I say that they should automatically be disallowed ?

>The point
> > is that in my view the narrative effects of the exchanges - as well
>> as the initial conditions of the contest - should be respected. This
> > MAY mean that the character will have to improve his position before
>> the character can do what he the player would like to do, and that
>> this MAY be something that is better not rolled into a single
>> exchange. If the character wants to make a dive for the kitchen
>> knife he was forced away from last action he can do so - but it will
>> be a bigger AP bid. If he wants to gradually force his opponent back
>> to get to the knife then timing issues may make that better as a
> > separate action.

[...]

>And yes, I see your "MAYs" up there. My point is that they are "Rarely, if
>Evers". I won't say that I would *never* force a set-up action, because I
>can't read the future. But I certainly like to think that I would adhere to
>"Yes, But" in those situations.

Did you read the example ? A quick simple action contrasted with a slower, less risky, compound action to do the same thing. Are you telling me that I should allow the less heroic slower action as a single action even if it causes timing problems with other characters' actions because it is "more heroic" ? And if there are adequate reasons for ruling out the less heroic compound action as a single action, then why can't they apply to other compound actions ?
Indeed, there surely comes a point where a compound action combines too much disparate "sub-actions" to be sensible no matter what the bid.

>> >If the player wants to jump across the hedge and hack through the beast's
>> >neck, then I want to see something more than 6 AP (Unless he's only got 8
>> >points to start with...), and if he insists that he's only bidding 6 AP,
>> >then I may just restrict him to jumping without the hack - based on his
>> >description *and* how reckless (or not) he's willing to be (so he doesn't
>> >get to augment his Leap with his Sword).
>>
>> Well that's up to you, all I can say is that the example doesn't
>> offer any indication that the reason for dividing the leap and the
>> hack is the size of the bid.
>
>No it doesn't, because that wasn't the purpose of the example.

Since dealing with a "compound" action isn't the purpose of the example, it would have been better not to include an example of the GM disallowing one for a reason that is not even hinted at in the text.

>> > But if he gets the 3x transfer,
>> >then he gets 18 points and more power to him. If the beast can be
>defeated
>> >by losing 18 points, then his leap somehow defeated it. Do I care that
>> >leaping "shouldn't win" the contest? Not at all - perhaps the beast felt
>> >secure while it was a hedge away from the hero and now it decides to
>flee.
>> >Or he landed on its gouty foot. Or he actually *did* manage to hack at it
>> >while sailing through the air.
>>
>> Well of course that isn't at all what I was suggesting. What I was
>> suggesting is that if 18 AP doesn't defeat the beast there is no
>> reason to worry that the beast would be defeated even if it
>> "shouldn't" be. The jump is fixing a problem - the hedge is in the
>> way.
>
>And if the beast only has 17 AP left? Should I worry that a 6 AP
>"positioning" action can win the fight when it "shouldn't" ?

Say it's a 5 AP action, or use the fact that to get 18 AP the beast has to fumble and the player has to get a critical success. Since the AP bid represents both the consequences of failure and success I don't hold with basing it purely on the consequences of failure - even though that is what the rules say. There obviously isn't a problem here unless you want to say that the GM should never adjust the AP bids (something the rules DO permit) AND take a very rigid view of what can happen as a result of the action.

> Or should I
>tell the player that he can only bid 5, because jumping won't win the
contest?

On that action, you certainly could - or ask for a lightly more aggressive action. But if it's only got 17 AP - even with the benefit of the hedge - and fumbles against a critical success I don't see any difficulty in finding a result that would let the jump win.

--
--
Guide to Taoism_

Paul K.