RE: Troubled Waters magic

From: Nicolas Hughes <nicolas.hughes_at_...>
Date: Mon, 15 Dec 2003 14:56:14 -0000

Message: 1
   Date: Sun, 14 Dec 2003 21:25:36 +0000
   From: Neil Smith <neil_at_...>
Subject: Troubled Waters magic

>Can anyone suggest possible ways to get around this conundrum? My best
>solution so far is to wave my hands a bit, say "Oooh, it's mysterious,
>oooh", and say that the PCs can treat this fetish (only) as concentrated
>magic, and it doesn't have any effect on any other magic, concentrated or
>not. But if there's a loophole in the rules, I'd like to hear about it.

One way to do it would be to have Zola Fel or one of his lesser kin "adopt" the characters in the role of a guardian. Guardians are usually not exclusive and the otherworld nature of a guardian is not restricted by concentration of magic.

There are exceptions to the usual rules on concentration (e.g. Lunar magic, another likely one is Donandar) and you could simply rule that due to mythic connections certain parts of Zola Fel magic are a known (but rarely encountered hence undocumented) such case for the characters' pantheon. A bit handey-wavey but it kinda works. Alternatively you could just suspend the benefits of concentration until the end of the adventure, at which point any character not cementing the 'benefits' of the Zola Fel magic regain the benefits of concentration.

--
Nic

This e-mail and any attachments are strictly confidential and intended solely for the addressee. They may contain information which is covered by legal, professional or other privilege. If you are not the intended addressee, you must not copy the e-mail or the attachments, or use them for any purpose or disclose their contents to any other person. To do so may be unlawful. If you have received this transmission in error, please notify us as soon as possible and delete the message and attachments from all places in your computer where they are stored.

Although we have scanned this e-mail and any attachments for viruses, it is your responsibility to ensure that they are actually virus free.