Re: Visibility of stealth magic?

From: Paul Andrew King <paul_at_...>
Date: Mon, 26 Jan 2004 20:11:28 +0000

>So all magic tends to be visible, especially high powered magic.
>
>Soooo, say you had two magical abilities, like "hide in cover 5W2"
>and "blend into surroundings 15W."
>
>You could nominally use the second to augment the first, giving you a
>hide in cover ability of 9W2. However you are using a powerful
>magic, and a second quite powerful magic to augment it.
>
>How does that work out? The magic is visible in that when you cast
>it you almost visibly disapear?

Sounds reasonable. There might be a general aura of magic in the area as well - I'd say that it would not generally be detectable just by ordinary sight, though. Opponents could presumably use magic-sensing abilities (of the appropriate type) in an attempt to find the person hiding (and the magic might be apparent if that succeeded - perhaps the character is swathed in shadows or has changed colour like a chameleon).

> Or does high level stealth magic
>really not work well, because there is this glow over there behind
>the bushes, and you can't quite tell what it is from, but obviously
>something made it, and maybe you should put a crossbow bolt through
>it to be on the safe side?

Apart from the fact that I'd want to see an explicit ruling to that effect, it would seem to go against MGF. So I'd say no.

>Then presuming that stealth magic doesn't give itself away, how well
>will it conceal other magic?
>
>So, you are using your "hide in cover" magic, but want to use
>your "strong like bull 5W2" to augment before ambushing your foe.
>Did doing that prove that you are 'smart like streetcar'* since the
>glow gives you away? Or does it give a penalty to the stealth
>magic? Or because it is a weaker magic than the stealth magic, is it
>concealable?

I'd say that the ability ought to either be a negative augment on hiding or give an augment in attempts to find the hiding character. Or you could do a contest of the hiding ability versus each other magical ability that was to be hidden.

--
--
Guide to Taoism_

Paul K.