Re: Visibility of stealth magic?

From: Oliver D. Bernuetz <bernuetz_at_...>
Date: Mon, 26 Jan 2004 20:43:32 -0000

I thought magic can't augment magic, just abilities or am I remembering that wrong?

> How does that work out? The magic is visible in that when you cast
> it you almost visibly disapear? Or does high level stealth magic
> really not work well, because there is this glow over there behind
> the bushes, and you can't quite tell what it is from, but obviously
> something made it, and maybe you should put a crossbow bolt through
> it to be on the safe side?

The Hero's Book uses an interestinf example on page 25 about a trader using magic to convince his target of something is kind of interesting. It suggests onlookers might notice something's going on despite the nature of the magic. That's the same sort of case where you wouldn't want the magic to be visible. You might want to play concealment magic like that. The user has to choose a target to hide from and others may be better able to notice him.

The problem with using magic to hide is that it doesn't last very long so you would probably almost always have a target in mind when casting it, i.e. "I want to hide from X" rather than "I want to hide." Depends in part I guess on how rulesy rather than story driven you want to be.

> Then presuming that stealth magic doesn't give itself away, how
well
> will it conceal other magic?
>
> So, you are using your "hide in cover" magic, but want to use
> your "strong like bull 5W2" to augment before ambushing your foe.
> Did doing that prove that you are 'smart like streetcar'* since the
> glow gives you away? Or does it give a penalty to the stealth
> magic? Or because it is a weaker magic than the stealth magic, is
it
> concealable?

The simple contest could work. Take the strongest magical ability you're using "augmented" by all the magic you want to use VS the hide magic ability.

EG. I want to use my Strong Like Bull 5W2, plus my Put Edge in Hockey Stick 10W, plus Skate Really Fast 6W. To hide these I've got Stay Low in Penalty Box 19W.

That works out to 11W2 versus 19W or 11W vs 19. Not bloody likely without a hero point. Better to save the Strong Like Bull for the first round of combat.

You could also compare augments, i.e. I have enough hide magic augments to cover my other magical augments. It'd be simpler than trying to roll simple contests versus a bunch of magical augments though. Though this isn't really supported by the rules so a simple contest might be better. Or you could just decide you can't hide magic with magic unless the magic used for the hiding is something like Hide My Magic and Me.

Oliver