Re: Re: Releasing a spirit (was: same magic, different sour...

From: Toksickburn_at_...
Date: Wed, 11 Feb 2004 09:53:52 EST

In einer eMail vom 11.02.04 15:37:50 (MEZ) Mitteleuropäische Zeit schreibt bethexton_at_...:

> Hmmm, here is one kind of obvious idea: when you release the spirit
> from the fetish, it is naturally pulled towards the spirit plane.
> Releasing it is no problem, releasing it so that it can hang around
> long enough to help you, and especially such that it can use its full
> might to help you, is harder.

One thing i never got is how and why you bind a spirit. Animism is about your relation to the spirit world. In a tradition or practice, you learn spiritual ways how to behave so the spirits help you.
So why would you ever trap a spirit in an object? That sounds so selfish and very evil to me, more like a demon bounding thing. Very anti-relationship. I dont think anyone would like to be trapped in an object. Beside that i dont see how this is supposed to work, even if you defeat a spirit in spiritcombat how can you trap it then in an object ? If i defeat a physical opponent i can lock him up or something, sure, but thats another thing, isnt it ?

An alternative would be to think of the fetish as a magical symbol of your connection to the spirit.
any comments ?
greets
Christian