Re: Releasing a spirit (was: same magic, different sour...

From: Jeff <jakyer_at_...>
Date: Thu, 12 Feb 2004 00:36:23 -0000

> One thing i never got is how and why you bind a spirit.
> Animism is about your relation to the spirit world.
> In a tradition or practice, you learn spiritual ways how to behave
so the
> spirits help you.
> So why would you ever trap a spirit in an object? That sounds so
selfish and
> very evil to me, more like a demon bounding thing. Very anti-
relationship.
> I dont think anyone would like to be trapped in an object.
> Beside that i dont see how this is supposed to work, even if you
defeat a
> spirit in spiritcombat how can you trap it then in an object ? If i
defeat a
> physical opponent i can lock him up or something, sure, but thats
another thing,
> isnt it ?
>
> An alternative would be to think of the fetish as a magical symbol
of your
> connection to the spirit.
> any comments ?
> greets
> Christian

Please see several earlier threads on this topic. In brief: Spirits often *want* to come to the Middle World. Its the only time they get to do things and see things.

The act of being in a fetish empowers them - its hardly trapped. Its more like a home-away-from-home. That's why it generally requires "Friendship" to ally them.

Many spirits, particularly Tradtion ones, are also mindless and they don't *care* what happens to them. Essences are similarly blase, I think.

Jeff