Re: follower actions vs. multiple attackers

From: Philippe Sigaud <sigaud_at_...>
Date: Mon, 16 Feb 2004 16:31:15 +0100

Selon Mike Holmes <homeydont_at_...>:

> >From: Philippe Sigaud <sigaud_at_...>
>
> >Why can't he add his AP? Is that forbidden by the rules? I personally
> >authorise any AP adding (even from fellow PC) if someone join the fight.
> >That's what Dan is doing there.
>
> I don't think he said that he couldn't do that. He was wondering if a
> character could count for cancelling a multiple attacker bonus if he didn't
> decided to add AP. My personal ruling is that they have to be adding AP to
> really be "in the fight," and thus count for cancelling penalties.

I agree, if only because most augments take place from far away (magic, orders, etc.). I'd rule the same.

Ah, I'm re-reading the rules and saw the multiple attacks rule yesterday. Wow, quite difficult that : direct malus from the number of attacks you try (ie : trying to hit three different guys, you get a -6) and the opponents will use their best result to 'parry'.

Till then, I authorised a first action at 0, a second attack if wanted, at -3, a third at -6 and so on. And with a normal 'parry' from the opponent. Maybe it was not in Her Wars either...

> >Btw, my current players tactics is to go for augments as far as they
> >can. That is, even their followers are used for augments and not AP
> >lending. They all saw that attacking someone stronger than you with many
> >AP is only a quick way to give _him_ many AP in turn. They much prefer
> >to be the strongest one and then begin to bash on the opponent's head.
>
> Why not both? I'm not sure if it's banned in the rules, but I allow any
> augments from the followers automatically as the rules suggest. Then, if the
>
> character wants to get involved (player's choice for actual followers), he
> also adds AP. Or lends if he tries to enter in the middle of things. Per
> usual, some of this stuff may require "unrelated actions" depending on the
> nature.

Well, I don't know, but I thought it was a choice, really. Either AP or an augment. Depends on circumstances and what you want to achieve. Anyway, my players gererally choose to augment.

But I don't bother with AP lending. If someone is fighting and that a new group joins him and fight alongside, I directly give him their entire AP or bonus. I'd use AP lending only for groups wanting to help another guy far away _and_ continue the fight they are in.

  Philippe