RE: Re: magical vs.mundane resistance

From: stephenmcg_at_...
Date: Thu, 26 Feb 2004 10:44:01 -0000

There is another alternative. If I remember correctly it has been said that when mundane abilities reach and exceed two masteries they become almost magical in themselves - they've gone beyond normal limits. As such high level mundane abilities should be competing with magical abilities and they aren't really _that_ much different.

If you wanted to differentiate you could just call using a mundane ability versus a magical one 'difficult' and assign a penalty of 10 or 20 or whatever (possibly 14 to have some resonance with the default resistance) - depending on how much better you wanted magic to be.

That way a reasonable magic ability would require outstanding mundane abilities to compete and good magic abilities would require mundane abilities to be beyond normal limits.

I think this is a reasonable alternative that allows simple magic resistance to be 14 and actively opposing magical abilites with mundane abilities to be possible.