Re: magical vs.mundane resistance

From: simon_hibbs2 <simon.hibbs_at_...>
Date: Tue, 02 Mar 2004 14:17:31 -0000

> I disagree with that. I would say that abilities like "Orlanth's
> Strength" would make the character strong unless there is some very
> special meaning to "Orlanth's Strength" that says otherwise. That
> ability can then be applied to do other things but because the
magic
> is about "making the user strong" rather than about accomplishing
the
> specific task the resistance is not an automatic 14. If the
> resistance were automatically 14 "Orlanth's Strength" would be as
> good as Barntar's "Move Stones" feat at clearing a large stone from
> field about to be ploughed, and that doesn't seem right to me.

I think that's right. Just a comment on this.

I think the 'Special Meaning' comes from Orlanth's myths. They are special to Orlanth, and tell us what it means to be Orlanth.

Orlanth is Storm, so in the myths I'd expect orlanth to do feats of strength appropriate to storms, such as bending or breaking trees, bursting open doors, knocking his enemies off their feet, etc. I wouldn't expect there to be any myths of Orlanth picking up stones, because that's not the sort of effect that storms have, so it's not realy in his nature. I'd expect Barntar to be much better at that.

Simon Hibbs