Re: Re: magical vs.mundane resistance

From: Mike Holmes <homeydont_at_...>
Date: Tue, 02 Mar 2004 10:55:31 -0600

>From: Toksickburn_at_...

>I think something that is a bit overlooked here is the fact that people
>dont
>seem to think much about what a particular kind of magic actually means.
>Its
>always so much argumenting from the numbers.
>If we talk about mundane abilities everybody knows what you can do with
>them
>more or less.
>But if you have a magic called "Run fast" or "Run like the wind" then, to
>me,
>its not all about the maybe pompous name but really about the question what
>is magical about this "Run fast"? Can you run without tiring, but once you
>stop
>the magic ends ? Or is it some kind of superhero-genre ability, that you
>can,
>for instance, beat a car in race with?

But everybody has given the answer already. That being that the magic matches the myth behind the ability. Now, you probably don't know the myth, and it probably doesn't even exist IRL. So what you do is create one on the spot. In fact, there's no reason that you can't let the players do this for their own abilities if you like.

This sort of Develop in Play (DIP) method is supported well by the HQ rules.

In any case, in terms of what abilities look like from a general aesthetic, they are sorta "super-heroic" and the text makes that pretty clear. So, in general, use that as your springboard for imagination if you don't have somthing in mind.

I think this part is a non-issue. Even if you do want the effects pre-determined, I think this is how you'd want to go. That is, determine the myth, and from there you can extrapolate what the effect is.

Note, this is all assuming Glorantha. Magic in another world might be less mythical, so you'd have to use whatever sources are available for that setting to be the springboard for your effects.

Mike

Find things fast with the new MSN Toolbar � includes FREE pop-up blocking! http://clk.atdmt.com/AVE/go/onm00200414ave/direct/01/