Re: magical vs.mundane resistance

From: flynnkd2 <flynnkd_at_...>
Date: Thu, 04 Mar 2004 00:25:46 -0000

> I'm being misread here. Or, rather, Bryan gave me this idea, so
maybe I
> misread him. To clarify: The problem that I have is with using a
third party
> to create a comparison between two competitors. That is, in a race
I would
> not have two racers compare to the course, but instead to each
other. In
> part because that's what the rules suggest, and in part because
the
> alternative is likely to produce non-specific results.
>
> BTW, someone covered that in another post saying that you could
use margin
> to determine victor, but that's even further outside of the rules,
and even
> more unneccessary. Since there's no problem with direct
comparisons to begin
> with (unless you have a certain Sim view, in which case the easier
process
> is just to drop the special rule for magic).

With a race what is the resistance being represented by - the distance generally, not another player. You both fight the distance and whoever has the best result wins. The result is in the form of Critical, Success, Failure, Fumble. Once each player has a result compare them as a Simple Contest. Where results are the same then lowest roll wins. If Rolls are the same it was a tie.

If there a many competitors then elminate all non-best-results, they lost. From the best resulters look at dice rolls, low one wins. If equal then a draw.