Re: magical vs.mundane resistance

From: Alex Ferguson <abf_at_...>
Date: Thu, 04 Mar 2004 00:39:44 -0000

[...]

> The really amazing thing that most feats can do is kill at a
> distance. You can stand in the back, safely behind the shield wall,
> and decapitate someone.

And we have an early nominee in the "least idiomatic use of a Humakt feat" competition...

To be (slightly) more serious, though, this is hardly "really amazing" in a world in which bows, slings, and chucked spears are far from unheard of.

> The best way not to unbalance is to make it work essentially the
> same as any other magic.

And the best way not to unbalance magic is to make it work like any other ability, right?

The real point, surely, is that there are some situations in which 'Decapitate Foe' ought to be more effective than the generic 'hurting things ability' (and contrariwise, others in which it's less so, one assumes). I think this is broadly what Greg's 'it's just a 14 resistance' is getting at, conceptually, but unfortunately I think it's awkward in practice to apply, as it leads to the previously-described "all or nothing at all" nature of this benefit. (Not to mention short trees being no easier to magically jump over than tall trees, and spirit trees being unaccountably touchy about being jumped over...)

Cheers,
Alex.