Re: Questions

From: Peter Larsen <plarsen_at_...>
Date: Thu, 04 Mar 2004 07:27:01 -0500

At 04:27 PM 3/4/2004 +1300, Peter Metcalfe wrote:

> > weregild
> open --
>
> > >He does get away with it if the clan is weak.
>
> > Sure, but they'd have to be pretty weak. Or poorly led. Or
> >really distracted.
>
>Which admits that it does happen despite your earlier categorical
>denials that it didn't.

         Which admits it *could* happen, if the Narrator wants to stack the deck against the clan. It certainly shouldn't be a model for general situations. I mean, Harrek shows up on a tula and demands food and lodging for his 5 companions. He refuses to take the Greeting, but the clan feeds him any way -- does this suggest that clans don't take the Greeting seriously? Eventually the failure of the Atlantic Ridge is going to cause catastrophic tsunamis on the US East Coast; that doesn't mean that tsunamis are a common occurrence here or taken much into account....

Peter Larsen

Engineering and Physical Sciences Librarian University of Rhode Island Library
15 Lippitt Rd
Kingston, RI 02881-0803

phone: (401) 874-4637
fax: (401) 874-5403