RE: Re: When is a Hero ready (was: mechanics of myth)?

From: Mike Holmes <homeydont_at_...>
Date: Tue, 09 Mar 2004 10:45:32 -0600

>From: Graham Robinson <graham_at_...>

>Not quite. When you do a Heroquest you take on the role of Yanafal (to use
>your example) but with your skills. The opponent ("Orlanth") is equally
>someone taking on the role of Orlanth, with his abilities, not Orlanth's.
>Thus the 10W3.

Right. I was speaking generally, however. If I'm scaling Kero Fin as Orlanth, the Kero Fin that I encounter won't be an individual but some representation. Or does this apply to all contests? That is, does some other hill stand in for Kero Fin in the HQ? If I'm fighting a powerful demon, is there somebody playing the part of the demon? (and I don't want to get into the deeper metaphysics of whether these questers are real people, or just manifestations of people who would play the part - I mean they're not there waiting all the time, are they?)

>Only when you go on a God Quest do you face the real Orlanth, and those are
>pretty unusual.

I hope so. ;-)

Mike

One-click access to Hotmail from any Web page � download MSN Toolbar now! http://clk.atdmt.com/AVE/go/onm00200413ave/direct/01/