RE: Re: When is a Hero ready (was: mechanics of myth)?

From: Graham Robinson <graham_at_...>
Date: Tue, 09 Mar 2004 17:06:37 +0000

>Right. I was speaking generally, however. If I'm scaling Kero Fin as
>Orlanth, the Kero Fin that I encounter won't be an individual but some
>representation. Or does this apply to all contests? That is, does some other
>hill stand in for Kero Fin in the HQ?

I must admit to being a little blurry on this point. I could see a number of possibilities :

  1. Its another hill. We know any old hill will do to start an Orlanth quest, but you get bonuses for starting from Orlanth Victorious. The same could apply to Kero Fin - you climb an easier hill, but the quest is less successful.
  2. It is a Kero Fin cultist. If you encounter one of the floods it'll be a water or dragon cultist. The same could apply to other apparently geographic features.
  3. Assuming the role of Orlanth grants you other means to scale the mountain - say by making a plea to your mother to show you the secret easy route up? Total fudge, but there you go...
  4. You have to deal with Kero Fin. I seem to remember she's only 10W3 to climb, so not exactly ridiculous by HQ standards.

> If I'm fighting a powerful demon, is
>there somebody playing the part of the demon? (and I don't want to get into
>the deeper metaphysics of whether these questers are real people, or just
>manifestations of people who would play the part - I mean they're not there
>waiting all the time, are they?)

Waiting isn't relevant. The Heroquest takes place outside time, so they arrive the same moment you do, even if they start and finish their quest several centuries before you do. In general, yes, anyone you encounter on the quest is likely to be another quester.

Cheers,
Graham

--
Graham Robinson