Re: Wizards and spells...

From: Tim Ellis <tim_at_...>
Date: Wed, 05 May 2004 23:11:31 -0000

That's the way I read it too. In order to be able to cast spells directly from a Grimoire you need to Attune it first, which means travelling to it's node on the Saint's plane.

However since, in addition to being a magical focus, Grimoires are also books of instructions and recepies (cf HQp164), an Adept who gains access to another's Grimoires *may* be able to use it to learn the spells contained therein. I say *may* because of the section labelled "Leaving a Wizardry School" on P166 "An Adept who leaves a school [...] is cut off from it'slibrary, and loses access to its Grimoires, SPELLS and PORTALS. [...]Although he can continue to use and imnprove the achool's spells that he already knows, HE CANNOT CREATE TALISMANS FOR NEW ONES, for the school will Ban Him." (Emphasis mine)

If the School can stop an ex-member from linking to one of it's spell nodes, then presumably it can also stop outsiders? (or at least have a chance of doing so?)

or does this restriction only apply to those "independant" spells taught by a school (ie those not in a Grimoire - HQp165) ratehr than those the founder linked to the Grimoire?

Of course this raises a lot of questions. If a spell is common to several schools, do they each have a separate "Spell Node", or is it a single node shared by nuumerous groups and individuals> If the latter and you leave one school for another with access to the same node are you excluded by virtue of your having left your previous school, or accepted as a memeber of your nnew school?