Re: Magic items (was Transforming abilities)

From: Peter Larsen <plarsen_at_...>
Date: Fri, 21 May 2004 17:44:14 -0400

At 5:29 PM -0400 5/21/04, Light Castle wrote:
>I realize that to use our magic Sword of the Seven Winds from
>earlier, if I use
>"Summon Howling Gale" 15W2 to summon powerful winds that tear up
>trees and blow down the three little pigs straw house, the
>resistance is 14.
>
>But if I use , "blow away missiles" 5W, does it get resisted by my
>opponent's archery?

        I would say yes. A better archer will have a greater chance of finding a "hole" in the wind. I might give the archer(s) a handicap, though (mostly because it's a cool effect).

>Does the Lunar charging me get to use his Strong 19 to resist the
>Howling Gale? (not
>that it does much better than the default 14.)

        Sure.

>Or take the case of my magic potion, what does the target resist
>with? (I am assuming
>here that they have no magic ability to resist with, obviously an
>active magic ability can
>resist a magic ability. In fact, I even think it says that a common
>magic ability that is
>normally only available as an augment can be used as the resistance.)

        It's a love potion, right? So the target could resist with Love (Someone Else), Hate You, Mistrust Love, Not Ready for a Relationship, Pathetically Slow On the Uptake, Not Interested in Your Gender, Death Magic (with a modifier), Hate (the Group You Belong to), Stubborn, and so on....

>In other words, is there any consensus on when a mundane ability can
>be used as
>resistance to magic?

        Sure. Pretty much anytime someone can make a case for it.

Peter Larsen