Re: Magic items (was Transforming abilities)

From: Roderick and Ellen Robertson <rjremr_at_...>
Date: Fri, 21 May 2004 14:53:05 -0700

> I realize that to use our magic Sword of the Seven Winds from earlier, if
I use
> "Summon Howling Gale" 15W2 to summon powerful winds that tear up trees and
blow down the three little pigs straw house, the resistance is 14.

> But if I use , "blow away missiles" 5W, does it get resisted by my
opponent's archery?

Well, since you're probably using it as your *defensive* ability (They're shooting arrows at you, you blow them away with magic) then you are really providing the resistance (5w) to the enemy's Archery ability. But if somehow you were using Blow away missiles as your attack, then yes, they'd probably use Archery to resist you. Unless they decided to use another ability instead...

> Does the Lunar charging me get to use his Strong 19 to resist the Howling
Gale? (not
> that it does much better than the default 14.)

Yes.

> Or take the case of my magic potion, what does the target resist with? (I
am assuming
> here that they have no magic ability to resist with, obviously an active
magic ability can
> resist a magic ability. In fact, I even think it says that a common magic
ability that is
> normally only available as an augment can be used as the resistance.)

Anything can resist a magical ability. Page 99: "Beings resist magic with their best *relevant* ability or keyword, whether mundane or magical. (emphasis mine). Relevance is important - a Combat Monster with "Whack you with a big stick 10W5" might still be vulnerable to "Alluring Innocence 5W". "Whack you with a stick" isn't really relevant in a contest with "Alluring Innocence", especially if the alluring innocent is outside of whacking range.

> In other words, is there any consensus on when a mundane ability can be
used as
> resistance to magic?

Any time it's relevant.

RR