Re: Terrify enemies with a shout!

From: Tim Ellis <tim_at_...>
Date: Thu, 10 Jun 2004 12:16:05 -0000

Working backwards. Would you allow Weapon Skill to augment "Brave" to resist "Terrify Enemies with a Shout!" ? I can't see any reason not to. After all if I'm bravely facing down a Howling Enemy, the fact I have my trusty Sword/Spear/Axe/whatever to hand is certainly going to make me feel more able to deal with him (once he gets in range, at any rate) On that basis, the "minimum" that defending with weapon skill ought to give you would be 6+(Weapon skill/10) - IE I have no "Brave" or anything equivalent, so I am using the default of "6" for having no skill and augmenting with a standard skill/10.

For a Weapon skill of 17, of course, this means an improv mod of -10 gives the "same" result although this won't hold true for higher skills. Still it sounds about right, and to some extent I'd be tempted to be harsher on "weapon skill" than some other skills, to (try to) avoid everybody just pumping their Combat abilities and improvising everything off that. Whether this is actually a problem will depend very much on individual players/groups and also GM style...