Re: Terrify enemies with a shout!

From: Rob <robert_m_davis_at_...>
Date: Mon, 14 Jun 2004 23:27:18 -0000

> If, in effect, the contest has already been declared to be one of
sharp
> blades, then I don't think the scholar can redefine it as one of
sharp wits
> by player fiat - of course the player is welcome to try guiding an
imminent
> contest into areas of PC strength beforehand, but I think the
options should
> narrow as the situation develops.

You may not have enjoyed tonights game then. As my players had scuppered my plans for them to be attacked and captured by the Silver Shields Vexilla I had them attacked by a gang of feral broos. James is new to HQ and Glorantha, and he opted for an entertainer character. What does he, a Donandari devotee, do when attacked by two large Broos? He, aided by his lovely assistant Rolla, dance like in a ballet singing with sheep voices. He used his Mimic animal sounds ability. Now he had a rating of 13. The Broos I had decided before combat were feral and had nothing they could resist with so it was the attack versus 6. The contest started with 12 Ap for the player and 6 for the broo. He made a succesful attack, and then they entered melee, but of course they had their point totals already in place.

The other players fought a more traditional fight. Everyone had a great laugh. One of James skills is 'cunning plan'. He never rolls it but always plays it. I find it a joy to have such an off the wall interporatation of the game, and quite liberating. I can't remember who said the first rule of Heroquest narrating is learning to say yes, and I make that right. I'd like to think that even if someone played a hobbit in my game they could defeat a spider demon like shelob! I suppose the gloranthan equivalent would be a duck and.....erm, a big spider??? ;-)

Of course YGWV,

Rob