Re: Who plays golf?

From: Alex Ferguson <abf_at_...>
Date: Fri, 2 Jul 2004 16:53:38 +0100

On Fri, Jul 02, 2004 at 04:11:41PM +0100, Bruce Ferrie wrote:
> Yeah, that was elfball. One of the first WD issues I read. I seem to
> recall a joke about the bound spirit in the stumps having self-combusted
> in grief at a particularly bad defeat against some foreign types. :)

Ah yes, The Ashes, of course. ;-)

> They need good weather for golf, too [...]

Definitely, definitely not! In cricket, not only will they stop play for any rain whatsoever, and "take shelter from storm" in the pavillion, but mere 'bad light' can have the same result. In golf though, the threshold is more like having had an entire playing party blown off into the sea, or when the third person in a given round is struck by lightning. (I exaggerate ever so slightly.)

Cheers,
Alex.