Re: Re: The "use it once in a lifetime" skill

From: Kevin Blackburn <kevin_at_...>
Date: Wed, 21 Jul 2004 18:47:09 +0100

In article <BAY15-F341iBUSki0UZ00061b59_at_...>, Mike Holmes <homeydont_at_...> writes
>But I have another option. Allow the player to take the ability as a
>flaw. This way it's free, can be at whatever level, and you can make it
>as narrow as you like. For instance, call it, "Enraged to extraordinary
>levels of violence under very rare circumstances 5W3" (or something
>simpler that is agreed to mean this like Camel's Back). This will only
>come up under "very rare circumstances" and will either be a huge bonus
>or a huge penalty(+/-7) depending on the situation. Which is usually
>thematically appropriate - this sort of thing is rarely only beneficia,
>and often something that the character worries about.

Or set a resistance to "Become Enraged" at a suitably high level, and then have a potentially enraging situation become a challenge against that resistance. Use relationships, etc. to become/augment the challenging skill.

In setting the level, work on the principle it should be rare even with a Hero Point spent, so, the threshold is probably around 10W2 (5W relationship, another, such as hate rapist, giving a +5 augment, and +20, in effect, from a HP bump).

This removes, in principle, the enraging from being GM fiat.

--
Kevin Blackburn                         Kevin_at_...